This Baked Lasagna Recipe is an adaptation of a child’s “learn to cook” recipe posted in a Sunday edition of a newspaper quite a few years ago.
By adding a lot of veggies to the sauce and replacing ricotta cheese with low-fat cottage cheese, the recipe becomes more wholesome. If anyone in your family is opposed to lots of veggies, chop them very small so they basically disappear in the sauce!
So, let’s make this!
• 1 lb. Lean ground beef
• 1 each: Celery, Bell Pepper
• Chopped Onions and Garlic (to taste)
• 1 large can Chopped Tomatoes
• 8 oz. can Tomato sauce
• Italian Seasoning and/or Oregano, Sweet Basil, Rosemary (to taste) and a pinch or two of Garlic powder (not garlic salt)
• 9 cooked Lasagna noodles
• 1 Lg container of cottage cheese (low-fat is optional)
• 8 oz. Italian blend of shredded cheese (or 50/50 mozzarella and parmesan)
1. Prepare the vegetables: wash, chop
2. Brown the lean ground beef until there is no more pink showing – sprinkle with pepper and garlic according to your taste
3. Drain any excess fat or liquid from the meat
4. Add celery, bell peppers and half your tomatoes – let simmer for 12-15 minutes
5. Add onions, garlic and the other half of your tomatoes – continue to simmer 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally – you don’t want the garlic or onions to burn
6. Add the tomato sauce and spices* and continue to simmer
* Seasonings are a matter of taste. Suggestion: Sprinkle the Italian Seasoning across the top in a thin layer. Optional: add half as much oregano and sprinkle a few pinches of basil over that and stir. The additional seasoning is for those who like it more flavorful.
7. Cook the lasagna noodles according to package instructions
When the noodles are ready, drain them and let them cool slightly so you don’t get burned when you pick them up.
Preheat oven to 350 (325 for glass bakeware). It’s time to build the layers…
8. Spoon just enough sauce (without the meat or veggies) onto the bottom of your 13×9 baking dish to form a shallow layer
9. Place three lasagna noodles on top of the sauce
10. Spoon a nice layer of the meat and veggie sauce over the noodles
11. Cover with a thin layer of cottage cheese and the mozz and parm blend
12. Add another layer of noodles (3)
13. Repeat steps 8-12 ending with the third layer of noodles
14. Top the last layer of noodles with mozz and parm blend
15. Bake in the oven for 45 – 55 minutes until the sauce at the sides bubbles and the top starts to turn a beautiful golden brown
16. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting and serving
Serve with a salad
There you have it! This is a fantastic yet easy Baked Lasagna Recipe for your enjoyment.