(Family Features) When the house is filled with the sweet smell of cinnamon, it’s a sure sign the holidays have arrived. This signature flavor of the season can add warmth and nostalgia to everything from traditional baked goods to vegetable sides.
“Everyone loves cinnamon in classic desserts like apple pie, but this spice is so versatile, it can be used in countless sweet and savory dishes,” said Chef Kevan Vetter of the McCormick Kitchens. “For the perfect seasonal side dish, you can toss carrots cooked in a slow cooker with a cinnamon-sugar glaze.
Finding the Best Cinnamon
Before you stock up this holiday season, make sure you’re buying the highest quality cinnamon to bring pure flavor to your dishes. Look for clump-free ground cinnamon that’s a deep brown, mahogany color. It should have a warm aroma and taste with a little “red hot” cinnamon heat.
Caramel Apple Slab Pie
- 2 packages (14.1 ounces each) refrigerated pie crusts (4 crusts), divided
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon McCormick Ground Cinnamon
- 8 cups thinly sliced and peeled Honey Crisp apples (about 8 apples)
- 1 cup caramel topping, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bring crusts to room temperature according to package directions.
- Unroll pie crusts. Line bottom and sides of 13×9-inch glass baking dish with 2 pie crusts. Press seams of overlapping crusts in middle of baking dish together to seal.
- Mix sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon in large bowl. Add apples; toss to coat well. Spoon into pie crust. Drizzle with 3/4 cup caramel topping. Top with remaining 2 crusts. Pinch edges of top and bottom crusts together to seal. Cut small slits in top crust.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on wire rack. Drizzle with remaining 1/4 cup caramel topping to serve.
Slow Cooker Cinnamon Sugar Glazed Carrots
- 2 pounds baby carrots
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons McCormick Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Spray inside of 4-quart slow cooker with no stick cooking spray. Add carrots and melted butter; toss to coat. Cover.
- Cook on high 3 to 4 hours or until tender.
- Meanwhile, mix brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and salt in small bowl until well blended. Toss cooked carrots with brown sugar mixture in slow cooker just before serving.
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
Keep cooked carrots in slow cooker when transporting to a party. Bring brown sugar mixture in small resealable plastic bag. For best results, toss carrots with brown sugar mixture just before serving.
McCormick & Company, Inc.