(NAPSI)—The holiday season wouldn’t be complete without the opportunity to enjoy a variety of sweet treats—made either from old family recipes or new ones.
One of the challenges of enjoying holiday sweet treats is that it’s easy to overindulge. This holiday season, bakers can create bite-sized treats that provide a dash of darling and a twist of tradition.
The Land O’Lakes holiday brochure contains five holiday sweets: Double Chocolate Cinnamon Mini Cupcakes, Reindeer Munchies, Eggnog Snowflakes, Red Pepper Asiago Gougère Cheese Bites and Mini Chocolate Whoopie Pies with Salted Caramel Filling. There is also a gluten-free version of the holiday recipe brochure available this holiday season.
“Holidays are the perfect time to combine a little indulgence with family traditions,” said Becky Wahlund, director of their Test Kitchen. “With these new recipes, we make it easy for holiday bakers to create smaller treats that pack an amazing buttery flavor.”
Here’s a new twist on a holiday favorite:
Mini eggnog-flavored cutouts. Decorate to resemble snowflakes for a beautiful holiday cookie.
Preparation time: 1 hour
Total time: 3 hours, 30 minutes
1 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 LAND O LAKES® All-Natural Egg
2 tablespoons whipping cream or milk
1 teaspoon rum extract
1 teaspoon vanilla
21/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons LAND O LAKES® Butter, softened
2 teaspoons light corn syrup
¼ teaspoon rum extract
3 to 5 tablespoons water
Decorator sugars, dragées or frosting, as desired
• Combine 1 cup butter and sugar in large bowl; beat at medium speed until creamy. Add egg, whipping cream, 1 teaspoon rum extract and vanilla; continue beating until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; add all remaining cookie ingredients. Beat until well mixed.
• Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a ball; flatten slightly. Wrap each in plastic food wrap; refrigerate until firm (2 to 3 hours).
• Heat oven to 375°F. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface, one-half at a time (keeping remaining dough refrigerated), to ¼-inch thickness. Cut with 21/4-inch snowflake shaped cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire cooling rack. Cool completely.
• Combine powdered sugar, 2 teaspoons butter, corn syrup and ¼ teaspoon rum extract in small bowl. Beat at medium speed, adding enough water for desired glazing consistency.
• Place wire cooling rack with cookies over waxed paper. Brush glaze over cookies; decorate as desired. Let stand until set.
Makes 6 dozen cookies
©2011 Land O’Lakes, Inc.
To download a copy of either the regular or gluten-free version of the Land O’Lakes holiday brochure, visit www.landolakes.com.