You do everything you can in your life to avoid danger. You always wear a seatbelt when in the car, you apply sunblock every time you go outside, and you always make sure you’re wearing the proper protection when riding a bike. But what do you do when you go online? There, it’s much harder to protect yourself from the dangers of the world. Hackers are everywhere, hunting for your information and hunting to expose who you are. Below is a list of things people do on the internet that has proven to be very dangerous for people’s privacy. If you realize you are guilty of doing these things too, please be aware of the dangers involved.
1. You assume that your banking site is always safe. The hackers always go where the money is. So please, don’t hastily type in the URL to your banking site. Take your time and ensure that the URL is correct each time. Failing to notice a mistake can lead you to a site that is about to scam you. This will lead you to becoming a victim of cyber theft.
2. You don’t know where your kids go online. If you have children, you need to become aware of their favorite social media websites. Be involved in your children’s internet life. By doing so, you can help guide them through any cyber bullying and any challenges that come up through their internet life.
3. You shop in shady online stores. It’s very easy to get hooked on an item you love online. Use caution before you click the “Add to Cart” button, though. To prevent you from falling victim to cyber theft, you can protect every transaction you make with Kaspersky’s Safe Money Technology.
4. You shop and bank on public Wi-Fi. Hackers love to spy on the public Wi-Fi. They can gain access of your credit card numbers, social security, and any other information. Make sure the Wi-Fi connection is completely secure. Try to only use your phone for banking when it’s completely necessary.
5. You only use one password. If you aren’t putting enough thought into the creation of your password, it’ll become very easy for hackers to figure out what it is. They can then steal your money and your identity. If you use multiple passwords for different sites, it’ll become very hard for hackers to access everything you own with just one word. Think of strong passwords with at least 12 characters in each one.
6. You don’t read the fine print. No one likes to take the time to read the fine print. That’s why some companies like to take advantage of that fact. When you don’t read the fine print, you could be allowing companies to have access to your information without you knowing.
7. You’re too social. There’s nothing wrong with talking to people and being friendly, but sometimes the wrong things can be said and the wrong people might take advantage of that. The internet can be a dangerous place. It’s very important to take the proper precautions necessary to protect yourself and your information.